If i ever see any of you in public, the code is
that way we know we’re from tumblr without revealing anything
if you’ve been following me for a while you probably know that i have very strong opinions about college journalism (shout out to the ucsd koala! aka the worst piece of student “journalism” to grace this earth; please read the ucsd guardian instead)
if you think casual racism is a cool way to gain points with your readers you’ve probably got some really weird ideas about journalism.
so look at this disgusting piece of “journalism” i stumbled upon today! ethnocentrism! language imperialism! wide assumptions about an entire culture! it’s got everything shitty you could possibly think of and more!
some choice bits include:
- "Also, people in China love to yell, and have no concept of using “inside voices.”"
- ”Overall, people in China neglect to follow many of the social standards that we value in the West.”
- "…if I had been one of those insufferable D-bags from the Jersey Shore, I would’ve left behind dozens of people with black eyes"
- "Good luck trying to find anyone who is able to speak English."
wow you mean to tell me that people didn’t speak english in CHINA??? and you were surprised by this??
keep in mind that this is written by the opinions editor - this person is in charge of an entire section at this newspaper which is an atrocity.
if you have free time, you can read the article here and write an email to the editor to voice your concerns! don’t forget to forward it to their faculty advisor as well because this should have some sort of a consequence for mr. hunter paul
at the very least, there should be a formal apology made - not just from the writer but also from the editorial staff for letting this racist article be published online.
Editor in Chief – email@example.com
Daily 49er Advisor – Barbara.Kingsley-Wilson@csulb.edu
afternoon reblog for those of you who missed it!
I need this poster
flood people with compliments. make eye contact. don’t be the first one to let go of a hug. push yourself to run faster and further. listen intentionally
Do it without expecting anything in return. Give generously without selfish gain
✧ ・ﾟ:* More Stellar Kid*:・ﾟ✧
- Ferguson’s massive cover-up: How police departments are protecting Darren Wilson
- STL grand jury weighs charges in Ferguson shooting
- Some Ferguson protesters shift focus to city’s historic district
- 11 things you should know about the murder of Mike Brown
- 5000 show up to Ferguson job fair
- When all the angels are white. Can black children be “angels”? The history behind the NY Times insult to Mike Brown.
- Moving beyond anger in Ferguson: A health journalists perspective
- Michael Brown Sr. to Darren Wilson: “Turn yourself in right now”
- How companies are profiting from police crackdowns
- Letter from The Criminal Justice Graduate Student Association of Eastern Kentucky Universtiy
- Teaching #Ferguson resources
- ArchCity Defenders: Municipal Courts White Paper